Reef Wave Maintenance | How To
It is advised to maintain a regular cleaning routine for the ReefWave pump to ensure its continued, quiet, and trouble-free operation.
The pump’s Impellers and Impeller cages should be cleaned monthly, or whenever there is a visible build-up of organic matters or reduction in flow.
The motor and shaft should be cleaned every 6 months, or whenever there is flow reduction that was not resolved by cleaning the impellers.
Here’s a step-by-step guide (also available as a video) on how to clean your ReefWave:
1. Turn off the pump by long pressing the “Feed” button on the pump’s controller for 3 seconds, or switch it off via your ReefBeat App.
2. Remove the pump from the aquarium.
3. Remove the impeller cages and the end caps, then remove both impellers.
4. Remove the magnets from the bracket.
5. Separate the pump from the bracket.
6. You will notice the pump’s motor shaft has a red side and a green side.
Press on the green side’s connector so it pushes the motor shaft cover out of the red side, then use a flathead screwdriver to remove the green sides’ connector.
7. Remove the motor shaft by pushing it from the green side and pulling it out the red side.
The full disassembly is now complete.
To clean any Calcium deposits and Coraline algae it is best to use citric acid, which can be found in the baking department in any supermarket. Use 50g of citric acid per 1L of water. Soak all the parts in the cleaning solution for about 1 hour.
Afterwards, use a toothbrush to clean all the parts.
When you are done, rinse them with clean water.
Reassembling the pump:
1. Replace the green impellor bushing.
2. Replace the silicone bushing holder.
3. Re-insert the motor shaft, and replace the red side’s connector while verifying that the grooves in the cap align.
4. Replace the green side’s connector.
5. Re-install the magnets.
6. Attach the motor to the bracket.
7. Re-install the impeller and the impeller cages according to their matching colors.
8. Replace the pump back in your aquarium.
9. Turn on the pump by long pressing the feed button on the controller for 3 seconds, or switch it off via your ReefBeat App.
And there you have it! ReefWave maintenance is now completed.
Watch the video presentation: